Before Josh and I bought our first home, we lived in a two bedroom apartment that we outgrew once we got married. We wanted more space, so we decided to look for a starter home that was slightly move-in ready (ha!). We found the perfect little house and instantly knew we NEEDED it. Fast forward a few months and here we are :) We felt very prepared for the financial side of everything … so that didn’t really scare us. We QUICKLY learned that being a homeowner is mostly just figuring everything out as you go. So, I’ve decided to share a few things we’ve learned so far:
- Always have a good plumber on speed dial :)
- Toilets CAN freeze in the winter
- Be prepared to make 1836495653736585757 trips to Lowes and Home Depot.
- Measure everything at least three times before you buy it
- Radiators from 1920 aren’t quiet… but that’s okay!
- Be prepared not to sleep the first night in your home…. EVERY NOISE IS A GHOST!
- Making several trips to Target, Hobby Lobby and Home Goods every week is 1000% normal. GOTTA GET THOSE SALES!
- Painting really does make a difference
- YouTube tutorials are a life-saver
- Any weather forecast other than sunshine will give you anxiety
Well friends, if you’re looking to buy a house I hope this post helped you! No one is alone in the craziness of owning a home. Don’t be afraid to ask for help and try to find the humor in everything!! Trust me, it helps!!
If you liked this post you might also love: